Food Drive Collections in September: In Johnson City: Central Elementary School, East Unaka Christian Church, ETSU Physical Therapy Department, Highlands Fellowship, Johnson City Fire Department – All City Stations, Johnson City Symphony September 16 performance, ReMax Real Estate, Sinking Creek Baptist Church Hwy. 321, Social Security Administration Office and Summit Leadership.In Kingsport: Social Security Administration Office, Sullivan County Clerk’s Office, ReMax Real Estate In Elizabethton: Celtic Festival at Sycamore Shoals 9/10 – 9/14 Watch for the WJHL Living is Giving Student Food Drive in most of the region’s High Schools from September 15 – October 5.
Help feed the hungry - hold a Food Drive
Call (423)279-0430 ext. 224 to sign up! We also offer a “Virtual Food Drive ” for an online food drive.
How to Organize a Food Drive:
Determine how and where food will be collected. You can use boxes, barrels or bins. Small to medium-size boxes work well for food drives. We can deliver barrels with at least 48 hours notice.
Give us a starting/ending date and location of the drive. Once collected, you can deliver the food directly to us or call and we will come and pick it up. Pick-ups are coordinated into our current truck routes. This could take a couple of days depending on the service area location.
· If you are using our barrels to collect food they come with a poster or wrap that says “Food Drive to Benefit Second Harvest”. You may decorate the barrels by wrapping them with paper and then decorating the paper. PLEASE do not mark on the barrels or barrel wraps.
· Appoint someone in charge of logistics; i.e., barrel locations and the physical collection of the food. Set a goal: Decide how much food you would like to collect during your food drive. How many potential contributors do you have? How much can you expect to collect? Will you collect food or cash-or both?
· Consider holding internal competitions (between departments, floors, etc.) Award the winners with special recognition such as pizza, etc.
· Spread the word!!! Create a poster explaining your food drive and post it on walls, barrels, etc. to inform others. Put small fliers in paychecks, and mention in other communication with your group, like e-mails and newsletters.
Food items we always need include:
• Cereal/Rice/Dried Beans
• Canned Tuna Fish/Meat
• Canned Soups
• Spaghetti Sauce/Pasta/Noodles
• Peanut Butter
• Canned Tomatoes/Veggies/Fruit
• Mac & Cheese
• Baby Food
What happens to the food once it gets to Second Harvest?
• Volunteers sort and box the items in the warehouse.
• The food is distributed to charities who serve those in need in Northeast TN.
• There is absolutely no cost to the donor or the charity.
To get more details, fill out the form below or call Megan to register your food drive: 279-0430 ext 224