The Food Bank will kick off Hunger Action Month on September 3, Hunger Action Day at 12:00 noon by participating in the online Thunderclap and encourages everyone who uses social media to participate on behalf of the 43,000 people who rely on a Second Harvest food pantry, program or soup kitchen each month in Northeast Tennessee. Following the Thunderclap the Food Bank will commemorate Hunger Action Day, September 2015 with their annual Drive to End Hunger Convoy starting from Second Harvest Food Bank, 1020 Jericho Drive, Kingsport at 2:00 p.m. and ending at Bristol Motor Speedway around 4:30. The convoy shows the size and scope of the work of Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee and brings recognition to many of the food bank donors and agencies that also participate.
How you can get involved in Hunger Action Month:
1. Join the Hunger Action Month Thunderclap on Hunger Action Day, Thursday September 3, at 12pm EST. By visiting the Hunger Action Month Thunderclap and encouraging others to join in! http://bit.ly/1Jd5twM
2. Turn your facebook profile orange for the month of September or post a spoon selfie with #Spoontember. The Food Bank is also asking businesses who have the ability to change their building exterior spotlights to orange and are willing to do so during September to please contact the food bank for recognition of your efforts.
3. Donate to a Food Drive or sign up to hold a food drive. Food Drive Collections that are taking place during September, Hunger Action Month are: In Johnson City: Central Elementary School, East Unaka Christian Church, ETSU Physical Therapy Department, Highlands Fellowship, Johnson City Fire Department – All City Stations, Johnson City Symphony September 16 performance, ReMax Real Estate, Sinking Creek Baptist Church Hwy. 321, Social Security Administration Office and Summit Leadership.In Kingsport: Social Security Administration Office, Sullivan County Clerk’s Office, ReMax Real Estate In Elizabethton: Celtic Festival at Sycamore Shoals 9/10 – 9/14 Watch for the WJHL Living is Giving Student Food Drive in most of the region’s High Schools from September 15 – October
4. Make a monetary donation to Second Harvest. For each $1 donated Second Harvest can provide over $7 worth of groceries for someone in need. Monetary donations are accepted online during September at www.netfoodbank.org or by calling the food bank at (423)279-0430 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
5. To learn more about Feeding America’s Hunger Action Month and Spoontember, please visit www.hungeractionmonth.org. http://bit.ly/1f8l2rD